Know These Tips Before Renting in Conway
Hello dear reader, and welcome back to our blog! Here at SMart Realty, we don’t just specialize in helping people buy homes, we also help people find rental homes that meet their needs. We understand that not everyone wants to purchase a home, which is why we think it is important to go over a few things that our Conway area clients need to consider before deciding on which home to rent. Rentals can provide a unique challenge, because often you have much less time to consider whether or not the house full meets your needs. However, with a little preparation we feel that you can find a home that is perfect for you. Continue reading below to learn more.
Don’t Let a Rental Lead to Ruin
Before deciding on a rental home, it is important that you take into consideration a few key things. While the pressure may be on to make an offer as quickly as possible to ensure that another renter doesn’t get the home, taking a moment to stop and consider theses key issues will not only help you choose the right rental home, but will also help to ensure that you don’t rent a home that is actually a nightmare in disguise. Follow the tips below to ensure that your next rental home isn’t a letdown.
- Security: Before you commit to renting a home, be sure to check out the home’s locks. Because rental homes have housed many people over the years, you want to be sure that the locks have been changed since the last occupant to ensure that no one has a key to your home that shouldn’t. If the person renting the home isn’t willing to change the locks, this is probably a good indication of future issues.
- Area: While being aware of the area you are going to live in is good advice for anyone moving into a new space, it is especially important for renters to be aware of the area. Is it close to things that you want to do? What are your neighbors like? Is it a noisy neighborhood? Because most rental agreements are for a year, it is important to know whether or not the area the house is in is somewhere you can commit to.
- Pet Policy: Because you will be renting a home, you will have to follow the rules of your landlord. If you have pets, or are planning on getting pets, it is important to discuss this with your landlord beforehand. Some landlords will be fine with pets who stay outside, but will prefer that pets be inside the house as little as possible.
- Check the Water Pressure: This tip is one that people often forget to consider. Before renting a home, always check the water pressure. Few things are as disappointing as getting into your new home’s shower for the first time only to realize that the water pressure is barely strong enough to remove shampoo from your hair.
- Read the Contract: While people should always read things before they sign them, reading your lease agreement is a must. When we say read it, we mean thoroughly read it. Reading the contract is important because, most of the time, the contract contains the terms that are acceptable for you to either break your lease or be released from it. This is important information to know in the unfortunate event that you are not able to live in your home for the full contract period.
- Find Out How Much You’ll Pay Upfront: The amount of money paid upfront on a rental property varies from place to place; however, most landlords will require at least the first and last month’s rent be paid before your move in date. Occasionally, landlords will require additional money on top of this, so it is important that you are aware of exactly how much you need.
While this list is far from a complete checklist, we here at SMart Realty feel that if you follow these guidelines, you will not be disappointed with your rental property. If you are in the Conway area and are in need of assistance finding a rental property that meets your needs, please contact us today.